A chocolate chip cookie ice cream cake is an easy, quick way to serve a crowd something special – without killing yourself in the kitchen! I like this recipe that J&J put together years ago. It’s simple and straightforward. You can substitute a butter cream icing or my favorite – sprinkle it with chocolate peanut butter hard shell topping to add an extra crunch!
1 ½ (18 ounce) packages chocolate chip cookies
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 ½ cup hot fudge topping + some for drizzling on top
2 quarts vanilla ice cream
Cherries, for garnish
- Crush half of one package of cookies (about 20) to make crumbs. Combine crumbs with melted butter and press into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan (or pie plate.) Stand remaining cookies (of the first package) around edge of pan.
- Spread 3/4 cup fudge topping over crust. Freeze 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soften 1 quart of ice cream in microwave or on countertop. After crust has chilled, spread softened ice cream over fudge layer. Freeze 30 minutes.
- Drizzle ¾ cup fudge topping over ice cream layer.
- Scoop remaining quart of ice cream over fudge layer. Freeze until firm, 4 hours or overnight.
- Crush up about 10 – 15 cookies to sprinkle on top of cake before serving. Drizzle with hot fudge topping.
- Garnish with cherries, if desired.